If you ever noticed small, bubble-like blisters on your asphalt shingles, don’t think twice to address them immediately. While it’s a fairly common issue, that doesn’t mean it’s one you should ignore. STARR Roofing & Gutters explores the causes of asphalt shingle blistering and what it could mean for your roof’s lifespan and integrity.
What Are Asphalt Shingles?
Asphalt shingles are a popular residential and commercial roofing material known for their durability and affordability. They are made of asphalt-saturated fiberglass mat base topped with mineral granules, resulting in a roofing material that can protect the entire roofing structure from water and the weather.
Causes of Asphalt Shingle Blistering
Various factors can cause asphalt shingle blisters. Here are five common causes:
- Poor Ventilation. Inadequate ventilation in the attic or roof space can lead to heat and moisture buildup. The trapped heat can cause the asphalt shingles to overheat and blister over time.
- Moisture Accumulation. Excessive moisture from leaks or inadequate roof drainage can penetrate the shingle layers. When the trapped moisture gets heated, it expands, causing the shingles to blister.
- Thermal Cycling. Frequent and significant temperature fluctuations, especially when combined with poor ventilation, can cause the shingles to expand and contract. Over time, this thermal stress can lead to blister formation, which needs to be remedied by a roof repair professional as soon as possible.
- Manufacturer Defects. Defective manufacturing processes or materials used to produce asphalt shingles can result in blistering. These defects may include improper asphalt mixing, inadequate bonding of layers, or the presence of moisture within the shingle itself.
- Improper Installation. Incorrect installation techniques, such as overdriven nails or inadequate use of adhesives, can compromise the integrity of the shingle roof system. This can create weak points where blistering is more likely to occur.
The Impact of Blistering on Asphalt Shingles
Blistering can compromise the lifespan and integrity of your roof. Blisters can rupture over time, exposing the underlying shingle material to the elements. This can potentially lead to leaks and more extensive damage.
Timely roof repair is vital when you notice blistering. A professional can evaluate the situation and recommend the best course of action, whether repairing the affected shingles or considering a more widespread roof replacement.
Let’s Take Care of Your Shingle Issues
If you’re facing this issue in Round Mountain, TX, STARR Roofing & Gutters can help. We have years of specialized expertise, and our commitment to quality service will give you peace of mind that your roofing issues are treated with the utmost care. Call us at (512) 736-6539 for all your roof repair and replacement needs. You can also contact us online to schedule a free estimate.