Timely roof inspections and maintenance help keep it in top condition all year round. When it nears the end of its serviceable life, however, you’ll want to have it replaced with a new one. Before it compromises your home’s comfort and structural integrity further due to signs of deterioration, you need to work with a reputable roofer.
Given the importance of this home improvement project, you’ll want to cover all the bases, including the warranties that come with your new roof. Understanding roofing warranties can go a long way in protecting yourself and your investment. Today’s in-depth article shares everything you need to know about them and their importance in the roof replacement process.
The Basics of a Roofing Warranty
Having your roof replaced by a team of professional roofers is a huge and complex undertaking that takes a significant amount of time, money and effort to complete. If something goes wrong after the job is done, be it a leak or any form of damage, you’ll be spending more to fix these issues. When such a situation arises, you need a solid roof warranty.
A roofing warranty is nothing more than a guarantee that ensures your new roof is properly installed and will provide the top-notch and long-lasting performance you come to expect from your investment. It will also cover subsequent repairs and even its replacement in the event of damage, so long as certain conditions indicated in the warranty are met.
When you invest in a new roof, you should make sure that you’re dealing with a roofing contractor who offers products from the leading manufacturers. These entities may cover potential repairs, but only if the leak or any other issue results from a product defect. They may void the coverage if they find out that you didn’t do your part in keeping it in good shape or performed any action that violates the warranty terms and conditions. Moreover, subsequent water damage to your roof due to a leak will require you to file an insurance claim. The manufacturer, however, won’t cover the repairs.
What an Ideal Roofing Warranty Entails
A solid warranty helps you get the most out of your residential roofing system. It often covers materials or workmanship, but it is not uncommon for leading manufacturers to offer a combination of both. Even the contractor you choose for the roof replacement project may offer its workmanship guarantee on top of either material and workmanship coverage from the manufacturer. Here’s a closer look at each one of them:
- Manufacturer Warranty – This type of roofing warranty specifically covers the roofing material and components used during the installation. It only protects against problems stemming from product defects that may have resulted in early roof failure. The length of coverage will depend on the product brand and the quality of the material or component. Architectural shingles, for instance, tend to have longer coverage than their standard three-tab counterparts.
- Workmanship Guarantee – Provided by your chosen roofing contractor, it protects your investment against issues stemming from workmanship errors. To be exact, it covers the labor involved in the actual installation. This, however, will only be valid if the contractor you hired to perform the repair is the one responsible for installing your new roofing system.
Given all these, you might be wondering what goes into an ideal roofing warranty. The following are the essentials you need to look for:
- Broad Coverage – An ideal roofing warranty should have comprehensive coverage. In other words, it should not only cover roofing material defects but also include coverage for each component that comprises your new roof. These include the protective material for the decking, leak barriers, insulation and ventilation. Several manufacturers offer them through some of their roofing system selections. Confirm with your contractor if the product warranty also covers re-installation work.
- Extensive Warranty Periods – Most roofing warranties tend to last at least 10 years and upwards of 30 years. You can extend the warranty period if you choose a premium quality roofing material from a leading manufacturer. Check the terms and conditions of the warranty before you make a decision; some products are covered for up to 50 years or even the entire lifespan of the roofing system itself.
The Advantages of Having an Ideal Roofing Warranty
There’s much more to a roofing warranty than just protecting you and your investment. Here’s what you can expect when you have a newly installed roof backed by comprehensive warranties.
- Peace of Mind – With warranties, you can rest easy knowing your roof will provide your home with superior weather protection and performance as long as you comply with the terms and conditions. You won’t even have to worry about your upcoming next roof replacement with these in place.
- Savings – Warranties are your extra layers of protection that help prevent issues such as haphazard installations and material defects, both of which are known to take some extensive effort and additional costs to deal with.
- Return on Investment – Apart from ensuring your roof gets to deliver exceptional performance, warranties help extend its serviceable life. This allows you to minimize the effects of extreme weather for a long time, making sure you make the most of your investment.
What Can Void Roofing Warranties
To further enjoy the benefits of roofing warranties mentioned above, you must be aware of the various actions that could void them, including the following:
- Hiring a different contractor for repairs. Make sure you only work with the roofing team who installed your roof in the first place.
- Pressure-wash your roof. Roofing materials, particularly asphalt shingles, can’t withstand the effects of pressure washing, especially if it is done at close range.
- Install a new roof over the old one – Due to the extreme heat that your roofing system has to endure, placing a new set of shingles over the old ones will shorten their lifespan. The heat of the roof and the lack of ventilation will only expedite the deterioration of the new roofing materials.
As a GAF Master Elite® Roofing Contractor, STARR Roofing & Gutters offers nothing but the highest quality products and techniques that will ensure your new roofing system’s long-term weather protection and performance. When you hire us, you can gain access to the strongest warranties in the industry, including the Golden Pledge® that includes a 50-year coverage on the materials plus a 20-year coverage on the workmanship.